Friday, July 18, 2014

"tiny owl" die....


This small die is so tiny people were wondering how to use it.  I am giving commenters an opportunity to win this DG751 nested owl die set. I'm hoping to post something almost every day for a week to give you more ideas how the different owls can be used.  So leave a comment and have a try at being one of our random winners.


The owls on the notecards were really simple. I die cut them three times down the side of the yellow decorative paper and then mounted them on a blue printed notecard using mounting tape.

The envelope was a bit more tricky because you want the delicate pieces of his beak and eyes to lie flat when going through the mail system. I started by die-cutting him, making sure to be above the area where the envelope glue is on the inside of the envelope.
I also cut out pieces from a decorative paper and set them aside to use later....or you can use the pieces from the notecard you did earlier.
Now we're going to work on the inside of the envelope flap. Cut a piece of double sided sticky paper (MPDS) to fit the flap, but leave the strip of envelope glue area exposed so the user of the notecard set can lick the envelope later.
Pull off the release paper on the sticky paper and place a piece of decorative paper on top of this now exposed sticky inner flap to protect it. You can also cut one of the owls out of the same decorative paper to use later so the inner flap will coordinate with the outer artwork.

Now turn the envelope to the front of the flap and you will see the sticky paper  (MPDS) is exposed and ready to receive the die cut pieces you set aside earlier.
You can use all one color or mix and match the paper die-cut pieces like you see here. Be sure to press these down really well if you are planning on sending them in the mail. Enjoy making this card to send to an owl or bird lover or go crazy like I did and make several as a notecard gift set. If you are one of the lucky winners I will also send you several pieces of the sticky paper that is scrap...I have lots of it and am happy to share!!!



16 comments:

KT Fit Kitty said...

My tiny dies are some of my favourites - they make great accents on cards. I love the way this one is easily pieced together for a different look every time! You've shown some great options! Looking forward to seeing what else you have to show us this week!

Cazzy said...

What a lovely little die, my first thoughts were to cut a stencil with it all over and use embossing paste. Maybe you will soon!

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

I will have to give that a try, Cazzy!

Unknown said...

What a great idea to die cut the envelope flap with the tiny owl so it co-ordinates with the note cards.

Viki Banaszak said...

I am in love with the tiny owl. I would say he would be great with other die cut shapes. I tend to like large stamps and when I try to match them to a die cut shape to go behind them, the images are always to big. This little guy would be perfect.

ionabunny said...

OMG, I'm sold. That tiny owl is so cute. I love the border and the envelope is such a gorgeous touch. These are just too sweet. Everyone move down. Owls to number 1 on the wish list.

Janice K said...

Arhh what a cute little owl!! I can see that this could be a very useful die.x

Sandi Lou said...

Love the idea to mix and match the die cut paper pieces. What a great way to use up special little remnants, all the owls would be unique but co-ordinating.

Anonymous said...

This cute little guy could peer out of the "tree line" die.

snazzyjj said...

YOUR OWL IS ADORABLE. THE PATTERNS YOU USED REALLY POP!

Pam said...

That owl is darling!

Carol McCready said...

Love the tiny owl. Great projects.

Cindy Groh said...

Super cute little owl. I love owls lately.

Unknown said...

This is a great thank you card for a teacher!

Jade said...

Such a cute little owl with big possibilities.

Katie said...

So cute on the envelope flap! I love this little guy. I think I would use him a lot on cards...maybe even on a clean and simple card on an inchie art square as the main focus of the card. Great ideas, love him die cut three times on the side as well! Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Post a Comment

Blog Archive